Tuesday, July 14, 2009

EMI to stop distributing to indie record stores

EMI has stopped distributing their music product directly to Indie record stores. All EMI distribution will now be through a 3rd party. So, our local indie record store will probably now have to pay an additional fee, to carry the EMI music catalog. Which may ultimately mean, no more EMI sold there.

Sucks for the indie record company. -- However, have you seen the EMI music catalog? I don’t honestly think the local indie store will miss what you could get at Walmart, along with your 9mm ammo, Hanes tighty-whiteys & 48-pack of juice boxes.

A couple of things that strike me about this are;

1.) The gossip on EMI is that they’re mired in financial woes. (Which is not exclusive in this suck economy.) So, this could be another cost cutting maneuver--among others. However, the base biz model of the record industry is to sell music. It comes off as the complete opposite of what they should be doing. Sell records. If my band was on the EMI label, I’d be pretty pissed.

2.) Again, the biz of CD’s is close to ending. I’m an avid CD buyer, but, if finding myself shopping for CD’s less and less. Either, I get p.o.’ed about the cost, it’s not available, and the convenience of online downloads, or I’m lazy.

So, as a wannabe rockstar… why be on a label. Do it yourself.

Read more
here

Content from the quite witty: www.waynerosso.com

No comments:

Post a Comment